Counselling and Advice

The College and the University offer a wide range of counselling services for any situation. Whether you are experiencing trouble with your course, facing a difficult situation, seeking mental health support, grieving the loss of a loved one, or just need someone to talk to, you are encouraged to find the support you need.

Welfare Tutors

The Welfare Tutors are available to listen and to offer help with any problems or difficulties that are not of a purely academic or administrative kind. Undergraduates and postgraduates are welcome to contact any of them. Every day in term time there is a Welfare Tutors on duty who can be contacted whatever the hour, in case of an emergency or urgent problem, via the Porters’ Lodge (339339). Out of term please contact either the Porters’ Lodge or the Tutorial Department (N Staircase – 339468).

The College Counsellor

The College Counsellor, Anna Churcher, is available to all undergraduate and postgraduate students at the College. During full term she works on Mondays (9.30am – 2.30pm and Wednesdays (10am – 7pm), and usually has a drop-in clinic between 2pm and 4pm, though this may change with lockdown restrictions – see her pages on JNet. The College Counsellor is also available for pre-booked appointments on Mondays outside of full term.  Her office is I Library Court, Room 4.  Appointments can be booked by emailing and no referral is required.  Please note that emails will not be checked outside of the working hours stated above. Counselling sessions are for 50 minutes in length and each eligible student is entitled to up to six sessions in one academic year.  The College Counsellor offers time-limited counselling and can sign-post to more specialist or long term support if needed for severe mental health issues or crisis interventions.

University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service provides free, confidential and professional counselling to all students. You can make an appointment online by filling in a pre-counselling form, or you can download a form; feel free to give as much or as little information as you are comfortable with. Any information you give will remain confidential within the Counselling Service and once you have submitted a form, the Counselling Service will contact you to arrange for you to see a suitable counsellor at a time that you can manage.


Linkline is a telephone listening and information service (01223 744444) run by students for students in Cambridge. The telephone lines are open from 7pm until 7am each night during full term, and there will always be both a male and female volunteer available. Linkline is not a counselling service and so the volunteers won’t tell you what to do, but they will provide a confidential listening ear.


The Samaritans say: “Talk to us any time you like, in your own way, and off the record about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal. If you have any concerns about our service before you try it, we want to reassure you about them here. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, just get in touch and ask us about it. Please don’t suffer alone.” Call 08457 909090.

Professional Counsellors

There are many professional counsellors and psychotherapists around Cambridge. Counselling Directory provides an easy way to find them.

Scroll to top